Tuesday, May 16, 2006
MGH ER analysis 3MGH
-Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), incorporated in 1811
-Third oldest voluntary, not-for-profit hospital in the United States
-Oldest in New England.
-Bed capacity approximately 900
-More than 37,000 patients are admitted every year.
-MGH is the original teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School
-Named in the top three hospitals in the United States by US News and World Report for the past several years.
- Full-service, state-of-the-art ED facility
- Provides care for over 75,000 patients annually.
- About a quarter of ED patients are admitted to the hospital.
- Acute Unit of 11 beds 4 shock-trauma resuscitation rooms
2 burn resuscitation rooms
4 cardiac acute care beds
- Major Multipurpose area
17 bays for acute adult illness.
- 4-bed Pediatric Unit
- 10-bed Minor Surgery Unit for walk-in patients.
- 7 bed Rapid Diagnostic Unit (RDU) for patients with single system acute illness.
- Acute Psychiatry Service (APS)
- Emergency Radiology Suite
3 radiology exam rooms
2 dedicated multi-detector helical CT scanners
dedicated ED MRI
All ED radiologic images are handled electronically and can be accessed within the clinical areas by computer.
2 portable bedside ultrasound devices used for trauma and acute resuscitations.
- Access to the hyperbaric chamber in the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Full-weather heliport on the roof of the Blake Building allows two helicopters to access the institution simultaneously
- Frequent destination for Boston MedFlight, a multi-hospital consortium program providing air and ground critical care transport in New England and beyond, utilizing three helicopters, a CitationJet fixed-wing aircraft, and a ground critical care vehicle.
- Level I Trauma Center, Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, Level I Burn Center.
- Only hospital in the United States to hold all three designations simultaneously.
- One of the busiest Level I Trauma Centers in Massachusetts,
- Internationally recognized tertiary referral center and local city hospital
Alexandra Ginsberg at 8:32 AM